The Iron Yard, Code School Week 8/12

Coding out in the Wild

This week we were instructed to create something "useless." It was the first project where we had with no-constraints.

Week Digest

We had more practice with React and added a few more built-in JS methods to our vocabulary including .map() and .filter()

I spent most of the week on my "useless" project which turned out to be a little more complicated than I expected, but also a real thrill to finally see come together. I conceptualized a split-pane screen that allowed the user to search for a city, then generated an image on one side with a color palette based on the results on the other. Using the skills we picked up over the last few weeks, I incorporated requesting an image from Google's Custom Search API, Backbone to handle routing, and React to create the views.

The project is live on Heroku. View the source code on Github.

Of Use

Thank you to the fearless Iron Yard instructors who helped me overcome the cross-origin request errors.

I used Node Vibrant to generate RGB values based on the image. At least I did not have to write that part of code myself!

I know I conceptualized the project based on cities, but because I'm returning a Google image request, it works on any search. This one might be my favorite:
This one also makes me really hungry. 🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪